The apps you need if you’re a blogger

When I first started out as a blogger I had no idea of all the apps that were out there and now I couldn’t live without them. I don’t know about anyone else but my phone is permanently in my hand so it’s super easy just to open an app rather than log onto my laptop and load everything up. As a blogger social media is everything, I’m always opening up Twitter, Instagram, Facebook & Pinterest to see the latest but below are some of my other apps that I use regularly to help promote my posts or use for photo editing..

WORDPRESS

I had actually heard about the WordPress app when I was thinking about setting up my blog and this was one of my reasons why I actually went with WordPress and not Blogger. I can easily edit my posts etc when I’m on the move and you can do so much on the app even change your theme and customise. Once I’ve come off my laptop it’s so easy just to open up the WordPress app and continue to edit a post. It’s such a great app and one I now couldn’t live without. Obviously if you’re on blogger or another site it’s going to be different and I’m not too sure who has got an app and who hasn’t.

FACETUNE

I only downloaded Facetune at the beginning of this year but now it’s become a staple I use for editing photo’s. I mostly only use it for the whitening tool when taking photos of flatlays because I can never get my photo’s completely white and when I think actually that’s not too bad then whiten and compare I’m actually really surprised at how discoloured my photo’s actually are. The constant struggle of trying to match all my photo’s on Instagram, ugh. There’s so many other features on their too including Defocus, details, smooth and frames. Unfortunately it’s not free but I definitely think it’s worth the money. I can’t exactly remember how much I paid but it wasn’t much.. Maybe 99p? I might be completely wrong but honestly I couldn’t live without the app now.

BUFFER

Buffer is a scheduling app that is honestly a lifesaver. I know I don’t have enough time in one day to keep promoting my posts and social media and that’s where this app comes in. It does take me a longggg time to schedule everything but it saves me so much time and stress knowing I’ve got my social media posts etc. all scheduled. I used to use Hootsuite for a while then I kept hearing great things about Buffer so decided to switch and I find Buffer so much easier to use. On the free version you can schedule up to 10 posts at a time but if you want more you will have to upgrade but I honestly find the free version okay and there’s also a re-buffer option so you don’t have to write out the post again and again which I think is such a great feature.

CANVA

Canva is such an amazing app for graphics. You can add text to images, create headers, create logo’s and SO much more. Some of their templates are free but others you have to pay for but their free templates are so good, I have never had to pay for anything. I have just recently made my own media kit using Canva and it was super easy as they even have templates so you just add your own images and text and you’re all good and you can update as many times as you need too. I’m so glad I found this app.

BLOGLOVIN’

The Bloglovin’ app is so useful for keeping up with your favourite bloggers. Obviously everyone is on different platforms so it’s hard to keep up with everything so Bloglovin’ does the hard work for you and keeps all the blogs you read in one place. I mean I’m not the best when it comes down to Bloglovin’ as I really don’t go onto it much and I should really be trying to grow more of a following on there but I’m not actually sure it brings a lot of traffic to my blog so I really just use it to keep up with my favourite blogs but it’s definitely a good app to have. Sometimes I’m really lazy and I will just go on to clear my notifications then go back off again..

VSCO

Okay.. I love VSCO and if you haven’t heard of this app you need to download it NOW. It’s one of the best photo editing apps around. If your trying to stick to an Instagram theme this is the app for you! It comes with so many themes and editing tools that you can adjust. I didn’t really get into VSCO until the beginning of this year when I decided I wanted to take my Instagram a bit more seriously. I use this app for literally every blogging photo I take and couldn’t be happier with the outcome of my photo’s. I don’t take the filter up that much as I don’t like to see my photo’s over filtered but with VSCO you can adjust to where you want the filter etc. so you have complete control over how it’s edited.

UNUM

UNUM is an app I use to help me plan out how my Instagram feed is going to look. I don’t know anything worse than when you’ve uploaded a photo onto Instagram and it just doesn’t fit well in your feed. I am honestly so picky with how my feed looks, I will never post a selfie after a selfie that’s just a no no. I mean my feed isn’t the best and I know that but this app is just so helpful when it comes down to Instagram. I always used to upload then delete because the photo was darker than the rest, I definitely have some issues I know haha. This app is definitely worth downloading.

Followers is an app that let’s you track  your followers on Instagram. Want to know who’s unfollowed you? this is the app for you. Instagram is now one of the hardest platforms to grow on because of the algorithm & the most annoying thing about Instagram is people who follow to unfollow just a few hours later but this app let’s you know who’s unfollowed so you can keep track of those pesky unfollowers. The app also comes with a little graph to see your followers growth so that’s quite handy although these days I’m never gaining followers, just losing them anyway I have been using this a while now and haven’t had any problems.

COLOR STORY

I bet you’re thinking I’ve spelt colour wrong, right? Well I haven’t that’s just the name of the app haha. Color Story is another app I use for photo editing. It’s a free app and has so many tools for editing. I mainly use this app for brightening my photo’s as it’s got a tool called curves and you basically just drag the little circle that’s in the middle of the screen to the left to brighten and it’s honestly the best brightening tool I have ever used. When you turn up the brightness on some apps it can make it your photo look a little grainy but this app doesn’t and I just love it. I does have filters too but I don’t really use them as I always use the filters on VSCO so I can’t really comment on those.

If you have any apps that I haven’t mentioned here please let me know in the comments as I always love discovering new one’s.

Love Samba

x

39 Comments

1. October 15, 2017 / 5:24 pm

I love this post, I use a couple of these apps already but I’ve discovered some too that I’m going to download☺️

• October 17, 2017 / 8:06 pm

I’m so happy that you’ve discovered some new one’s 💕 xo

2. October 17, 2017 / 12:09 pm

Thanks Sam…this will be very useful for me!! good of you to share! x

3. October 18, 2017 / 7:18 am

I’m so glad I came across this! I already use some of these apps but I’m defiantly going to have to sit down and learn some of these others as well. Thank you!

• October 18, 2017 / 5:07 pm

YAYY! I’m so glad it’s helpful. I hope you find some more apps you will love 💕

4. October 18, 2017 / 8:34 am

I already use some of the apps you have mentioned but there are most I need to try. Thank you for this 🙂

5. October 18, 2017 / 8:34 am

Thanks for this informative post! We’re also using VSCO and it’s amazing. Definitely going to check out the Followers app because we are tired of these annoying follow unfollow people 😀 S. xx

• October 20, 2017 / 1:44 pm

I agree. VSCO is just so so good for photo editing. OMG, it’s super annoying, right?! xo

6. Prarthana Shah
    October 18, 2017 / 8:51 am

Oooh these are some new apps specially for a new blogger like me ! This is really helpful thankyou !!

7. October 18, 2017 / 9:59 am

This is such a helpful post! I’ve been on the hunt for a good photo editing app, is VSCO free?

• October 20, 2017 / 1:47 pm

Yes. VSCO is free lovely and it’s honestly the BEST photo editing app out there right now. I’d recommend downloading 💕

8. October 18, 2017 / 10:56 am

That’s really useful, thanks, going to clear some space on my phone for some of these 😊

9. October 18, 2017 / 11:22 am

Great advice! I love Canva so much it’s seriously life changing for blogging

• October 20, 2017 / 1:50 pm

Thank you! I love Canva. You can do so much on there 🙌🏼

10. blushingrosebeauty
    October 18, 2017 / 1:37 pm

I could use some new editing apps so this was a great reference! Thank you. Xx

• October 20, 2017 / 3:46 pm

I love finding new apps to try so I’m glad it’s useful for you! xo

11. October 18, 2017 / 2:50 pm

This is such a useful post! I dont use any apps for blogging, but have just learnt about canva. I will have to look up some of the others, and I have no idea why I havent ever downloaded the wordpress app. That would literally save my lfe lol Thanks for sharing

• October 20, 2017 / 3:48 pm

Thank you! Canva is amazing for graphics isn’t it?! The WordPress app is SO good and I don’t know where I would be without it haha

12. October 18, 2017 / 4:11 pm

Oooh I can comment now! Must have been a glitch. I need to download facetune app, didn’t know that it was what people used to make photo’s whiter. Definitely going to try some of these apps out!

• October 20, 2017 / 3:49 pm

Oh 🙈 I’m glad I can see your comment haha. That was like me, I literally downloaded so many apps until I found Facetune and it’s a lifesaver.

13. October 18, 2017 / 6:08 pm

What a great list! I am always so torn on using a scheduling tool…

• October 20, 2017 / 3:52 pm

Thank you! Scheduling helps me so much. I love knowing once I have everything scheduled I haven’t got to worry about promoting!

• October 21, 2017 / 6:07 pm

So maybe a silly question, but I’ve heard people say they schedule and repin their pins to group boards and their own boards. But I’ve also heard that Pinterest penalizes repeating pinning?

• October 22, 2017 / 8:09 am

It’s definitely not a silly question and I wish I had the answer for you but I don’t use the scheduling apps for Pinterest. I usually just pin & re-pin pretty things on there 😂 I do sometimes pin my images from my blog when I remember. I really need to use Pinterest for my blog more 🙈 Sorry I can’t help lovely 💕

14. October 18, 2017 / 6:11 pm

Don’t use many apps for blogging, mainly because I badly need to upgrade but I’m greatful to see a list of all the ones that work and how. Thanks for a great post xo

• October 20, 2017 / 3:54 pm

Thank you so much for reading and hopefully once you can download these will help you out xo

15. October 18, 2017 / 7:04 pm

Great list thanks. I have a few of these apps but there are some I hadn’t heard of. Will be checking these out!

16. October 18, 2017 / 8:03 pm

Wow these pic editing apps are the business!! I’m struggling with my insta theme so they’ll be a great help!! I have the instagram follower app, I’d love one for twitter… Any ideas? xx

• October 20, 2017 / 4:02 pm

They’re the BEST. I don’t know what I’d do without the UNUM app to plan out my feed lol. For Twitter I’ve always used Crowdfire (free). When I downloaded I think it was last year you could get all the features but they have recently changed and now can only get some of the features unless you upgrade which is super annoying. It does still tell me who’s unfollowed although you can only unfollow a few not all. I still haven’t found another app to replace it yet.. xo

• October 25, 2017 / 9:19 pm

I still haven’t got round to figuring it out but I promise I will 🙂
        Its so annoying when apps upgrade like that! Will have to keep an eye on apps for this! xx

17. November 14, 2017 / 4:16 pm

Very helpful post. I already use most of these apps. I am particularly in love with canva as it helps me create some cute pinterest pictures. 🙂

• November 14, 2017 / 7:24 pm

Thank you! Canva is such a good app isn’t it?! There’s so many templates on there, I don’t know what I would do without the app now 🤷🏼‍♀️