Why am I running a 10K?

After watching The London Marathon on Sunday it really inspired me to write this post so I think most of you may know by now that I’m running the Great Birmingham 10K on May 6th which is now VERY soon, It’s next month and I’m honestly so nervous about the day. I received my race number a couple of weeks ago and when I opened it I freaked out because then it hit me. I’m actually going to have to run a 10K.. After watching the Great Birmingham 10K on the t.v last year I was determined to sign up and run this year. The crowds and atmosphere looked amazing and I’m hoping that’s what will get me to the finish line this year! I ran theCancer Research – Race For Lifein 2016, even though it was only 5K I was so proud of myself and I don’t think I would have signed up for the Birmingham 10K if I hadn’t have done Race For Life as I signed up to the gym to train and it gave me the motivation to exercise so that has helped my recovery for all the treatment I received.

Flatlay

Training.. Well this is where I’m embarrassed to tell you guys it’s not been going amazingly well. You are supposed to go on 3 training runs a week so you are ready for the race but training last week had to be put on hold as I wasn’t very well so missed out on doing training runs which I really needed. I started training properly in January as I thought oh that’s plenty of time but I wish I would have started before because let me tell you it’s not haha. I’m actually running with my auntie who I just want to say has been amazing and I honestly can’t thank her enough for the time and effort she is putting in with coming on runs with me and training herself, she is such an inspiration to me and I’m so happy we will be tackling the 10K course together. Training in winter was hard but weirdly I enjoyed running in the rain! Making time for runs was probably the hardest thing to do. I try to go on runs when I have my days off from work as when I get back from work I’m just too exhausted to do anything so that’s been working well. I have only managed to run/walk a 5K at this point so I am way behind with where I am supposed to be but coming up to the 10K I am so determined to fit in as many training runs as possible before the big day. I know just signing up was a massive thing for me to do but to actually run is going to be something else. Lets just hope I can get round, eh? I have set myself a time to run and that’s around 1 hour 10 minutes but I’m honestly not sure I’ll hit it but I’m going to try my best and that’s all I can do. Setting myself a time has helped motivate me though in training so if anyone is trying for a run right now I would recommend setting yourself a goal.

Water and running leggings

Obviously training has been hard but I knew it would be and at no point have I thought I can’t do this because I CAN. I can do this and I will. I may only be making slow progress with training but one of the drugs in my chemo treatment has reduced my lung function to just over 60% and I have no idea whether this will go up with regular exercise or not it’s just a matter of waiting. I remember just coming out of hospital after my transplant and getting up stairs took me forever, I had to stop to get my breath back after only 3/4 steps and I remember thinking am I ever going to get better but a couple of years later I am much stronger than I thought I could be.

SO.. Why am I running a 10k? I’ll be running for Bloodwise who most of you know I’m a patient ambassador for. Bloodwise are an amazing charity who put so much work into saving the lives of blood cancer patients and without their research I wouldn’t be here today writing this. To be in good health now I have the opportunity to give back and raise money for this charity who are very close to my heart. On a personal note, I know this will be such a huge challenge for me physically and mentally but after going through something so life changing as a cancer diagnosis I want to make the most of everything and running a 10K has been on my bucket list for a while. I’m sure there will be tears once I cross the finish line..

I am so proud of how far I have come since finishing treatment and nothing will stop me completing the Great Birmingham 10K even if I have to walk at some points. I just need to keep reminding myself why I’m running, so other people can survive just like I am. I am hoping to raise as much as possible so any donations will be much appreciated as well as any support along the course is very welcome too. If you live around Birmingham I would love to see your smiling faces around the course.

DONATE HERE

Love Samba

x

22 Comments

• April 25, 2018 / 7:00 am

Thank you sweetie ✨ YES, you should totally do the couch to 5K! xo

1. Creative Nails
    April 26, 2018 / 7:06 pm

Wow – good luck! I wish I was motivated to do this, I usually prefer cycling over running though. I can’t imagine how amazing it will feel after you’ve completed it – I’m sure it will make up for all the hard work you’ve put in!

Amy,

• April 29, 2018 / 5:55 pm

Thank you! I’d love to do a cycling event in the future. I honestly can’t wait until I pass the finish line haha

2. April 26, 2018 / 7:26 pm

Good luck! I actually entered the ballot for the marathon this year and sadly didn’t get a place (praying for a better result next year). Try to enjoy it! And there’s no shame in walking some if you have to x

Sophie

• April 29, 2018 / 5:59 pm

Thank you! Ahhh no way, I really hope you get a place next year 🤞🏼 I’m sure I’ll enjoy it once the day gets here, I’m just super nervous now. Eeekkk xo

3. April 26, 2018 / 7:37 pm

Good luck lovely I hope you smash it! I’ve been running loads again recently, I started to lose weight but I’ve rediscovered my love for it. I’m sure you’ll do absolutely fab on the day, you’ll push yourself more because you want to do well and 1 hour 10 is a reasonable time! My longest run in a few years was a couple of weeks ago and I managed 5.73 miles which I was super proud of but I felt so ill when I got home so make sure you have some energy gels or something to keep you going! Can’t wait to hear how you get on, it’s one of my goals to do a run like this at some point!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

• April 29, 2018 / 6:07 pm

Ahhh! Thank you so much, beautiful! I’m so happy I’ve started running again, well done you 👏🏼 That’s what I’m hoping. I think the atmosphere will help a lot as well! 5.73 miles is amazing for your first run in a long time. Oh thank you for the advice, I’ll make sure I do! I’ll make sure to do a blog post all about the day and how I got on 💕 xo

4. April 26, 2018 / 7:44 pm

That’s so great that you’re running a 10k!! And for an amazing cause too. I’m happy you are better now, and admire your perseverance. I’m sure you’ll do well once the day comes with all the adrenaline and encouragement from the people on the sidelines! 🙂

• April 29, 2018 / 6:10 pm

Ah, thank you! Bloodwise are an amazing charity ❤️ That’s what I’m hoping! I think all the support will help a lot. xo

5. April 26, 2018 / 7:51 pm

Oh wow, good luck!! I bet you’ll absolutely kick its ass! Such a great thing to do ♥️

6. April 26, 2018 / 8:16 pm

Good luck! I know you’ll smash it! x

7. April 26, 2018 / 9:05 pm

Good luck lovely, you’ll do amazingly! It’s way more than I could ever manage, I just about managed 2k yesterday 😅

• April 29, 2018 / 6:14 pm

Thank you so much! That was like me when I started, I couldn’t even run 1K but then I just got so motivated and wanted to run everyday 😂

8. April 27, 2018 / 9:43 pm

I think it’s absolutely amazing that you’re going out there to do a 10k. Being able to participate and complete one is one of my goals but I know it’ll be a while before I can manage to do it. Good luck! Go kick some ass!

cabin twenty-four

• April 30, 2018 / 9:41 am

Awh, thank you so much! It’s one of my goals too so I’ll be so happy to cross it off my list! I’m sure you’ll smash it when you are able to participate 💕